Blackhawk Technical College to Host Community-Wide MLK Event (Canceled)
January 3, 2020
This event has been canceled due to weather-related conditions. The event has been rescheduled for Jan. 25.
Blackhawk Technical College is excited to host the annual community-wide MLK Commemoration event on Saturday, Jan. 11 from 3 – 5 p.m. on its Central Campus in Janesville. This year’s theme is Dream, Believe, Achieve. On display this year is artwork created in response to Dr. King’s Dream Speech by elementary, middle and high school students from the School District of Janesville.
The event will feature music, food, and speakers commemorating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Speakers include a welcome introduction by Dr. Tracy Pierner (Blackhawk Technical College), MLK Speech Citation by Abby Scherwitz (School District of Milton), and Keynote Message from Mandela Barnes, Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin.
Performances by the Beloit Memorial High School Concert Choir, Lancer Academy: Hip Hop Across the Curriculum (McNeel Intermediate School), and Flag Ceremonies by Girl Scout Troops #9160 and #3101 from Beloit Area Schools.
Sonja Robinson, School District of Janesville Coordinator of Student Services will emcee the event.
Several awards will also be presented at the event. These awards include:
- UAW Local 95 MLK Jr. Civil Rights Award
- YWCA Racial Justice Award
- Wisconsin Legislative Recognition
The annual event is a collaboration between the following community organizations:
- American Association of University Women
- Beloit Public Library
- Blackhawk Technical College
- Community Foundation of Southern Wisconsin
- Diversity Action Team of Rock County
- School District of Beloit
- School District of Janesville
- School District of Milton
- United Auto Workers Local 95
- YWCA Rock County