Veterans Benefits

Veterans with applicable work experience may be eligible to earn college credits toward a certificate, diploma or degree. Any veteran enrolling at BTC with documented (DD214) service will be granted up to 10 college credits for their service of three years or greater if the classes are required for their respective program. Service of 1-3 years may receive up to four credits.

In addition, we offer credit of military occupations and training courses if they are recommended for credit by the American Council of Education (ACE) and if we offer a similar course. The credits earned are for general electives required for an Associate's Degree only. If you have questions about fulfilling major requirements, contact a BTC advisor.

Learn More

Veteran and Service Member Priority Enrollment  Military Friendly School Logo

As an eligible veteran or service member, you have the opportunity for priority enrollment, meaning you can enroll in courses ahead of non-service members. This priority applies to veterans and service members who have served or are currently serving on active duty under honorable conditions in the U.S. armed forces. Priority enrollment does not extend to eligible dependents. Service members interested in a priority enrollment must submit eligibility documents verifying their status to the Financial Aid Office. Once initial eligibility for priority registration has been established, students will be assigned a priority enrollment appointment. Continuing students that already have documentation on file do not need to submit that documentation again.

New students can submit any one of the following items to document qualification:

  • DD214/DD215
  • NGB22/22A- National Guard report of separation and record of service
  • Reserve Credit Report and "Discharge Order & Point Summary"
  • Letter from commanding officer on letterhead with original signature
  • Current orders
  • Letter from county veteran service officer on letterhead with original signature

Veterans Benefits

For information about how to use the veteran benefits you are eligible for at Blackhawk Technical College, please contact the Veteran Certifying Official at (608) 757-7721 or

A variety of federal programs are available if you have served in the military. You may also be eligible for reserve benefits if you are currently an active member of the reserves or National Guard. Dependents of disabled or deceased veterans may be eligible for benefits also.

For more information about veteran education benefits through the Federal Department of Veteran Affairs go to or call 1-888-442-4551.

State programs in the form of tuition and fee reimbursement and part-time study grants may be available for Wisconsin veterans. National Guard members may be eligible for a National Guard Tuition Grant. To learn more, go to the Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs.

It is advisable to contact your CVSO (County Veterans Services Office). The Rock County VA office can be reached at (608) 757-5552. The Green County VA office can be reached at (608) 328-9415.

© 2019, Blackhawk Technical College. All rights reserved.