We offer a comprehensive family literacy program called Even Start. The program is designed to increase the literacy level of the whole family and is comprised of four components:
Component 1: Adult Education
- Classes for parents in English Language Learning (ELL).
- Individualized and small group instruction in math, communication skills, employability, civics, and more.
- Assistance with transition to post-secondary education.
Component 2: Early Childhood Education
- Emergent literacy and school readiness activities.
- Developmental and school readiness screenings for children.
- Service coordination with Head Start, Pre-K and elementary schools.
Component 3: Parent Time
- Information to help parents support their child's learning.
- Connections to additional community resources.
- Problem-solving to help remove barriers to program participation.
Component 4: Interactive Literacy Activities
- On-site literacy activities between parents and children facilitated by program staff.
- Transition to home activities and materials to support learning in the home.
- Family enrichment activities and events outside program hours during the year.
While parents are in an adult education classroom learning English, children are in a separate, on-site early-learning environment that fosters the development of early literacy skills. Information acquired during parent time can be applied during interactive literacy activities that take place between parents and children during program hours.
All Even Start services are free-of-charge to eligible families. Criteria for family eligibility include:
- At least one parent with a need to improve English through English Language Learning classes
- At least one child under the age of five
- Household income at or below poverty level