Educational Agreements

Educational agreements allow students from collaborating colleges to attend approved programs at participating schools without having to worry about residency issues and out-of-district fees.

Do you live in either Stephenson or Winnebago County in Illinois and want to attend BTC? Do you live in Rock or Green County in Wisconsin and want to attend either Rock Valley College (RVC) or Highland Community College (HCC)? If so, you may be eligible to take advantage of an educational agreement. 

How to Get Started

The process varies by residency:

Application Process:

  1. Please read the Terms below before proceeding to make sure you qualify.
  2. If not already currently in the system at Blackhawk Technical College, you will want to fill out an enrollment application first with Admissions here. You will receive a welcome letter with a student ID # for BTC - this is not to say that you need to take classes at BTC, just that you are up to date in our system to keep track of educational agreement.
  3. Apply to a participating college.
  4. Provide your letter of acceptance and a valid Wisconsin ID reflecting residence in Rock or Green County to the Blackhawk Technical College representative (listed below)
  5. Fill out and submit the Educational Agreement application here.
  6. If approved, your letter of approval will be sent to the college you plan to attend. You will pay the in-district tuition rates charged by that institution.
  7. You will receive a copy of your Educational Agreement via the email you provide on this application. Please allow 4-6 business days for processing.
  8. Register for classes at your other college!

Please check with the participating college regarding authorization letter due dates. Your letter must be updated on an annual basis.

  1. Apply to Blackhawk Technical College
  2. Obtain a current reciprocal letter from your residential college (your residential college may have additional requirements)
  3. Provide the reciprocal letter to Blackhawk Technical College
Reciprocal authorization letters from either RVC or HCC should be submitted by:
  • October 1 for Fall Term
  • March 1 for Spring Term

Your letter must be updated on an annual basis.


  • All agreements are valid for one year - fall to summer semesters
  • All students MUST initiate the renewal agreement for subsequent years.
  • Proof of acceptance into RVC or HCC is needed prior to receiving authorization. You must show the BTC representative the original RVC or HCC acceptance letter. A copy of your acceptance letter will be kept for verification.
  • If you enroll in courses that are not within your academic plan, your residency status may be changed to reflect out-of-state fees for ALL COURSES YOU ARE ENROLLED IN FOR THAT TERM. This change can occur at any time. If approval documentation is received AFTER classes start, the approval will not be applied to that semester.
  • Upon completion of the degree or certificate requirements, this agreement is no longer valid.
  • Family Education Rights and Privacy Act: The student understands and grants permission for RVC or HCC to send information pertaining to the students’ course schedule and registration each semester.
  • Individual reciprocal approval documentation needs to be presented to the respective college either prior to the affected semester or prior to classes starting. 
  • Courses being transferred must be of equal value.

RVC Transfer Programs

Programs BTC residents can take at RVC:
  • Dental Hygiene (2 seats for qualified students)
  • Electronic Engineering Technology
  • Fitness, Wellness & Sport
  • Graphic Arts Technology
  • Manufacturing Engineering Technology
  • Media Production Specialist
  • Respiratory Care
  • Sustainable Energy Systems
Programs RVC residents can take at BTC:
  • Agribusiness Specialist (Monroe Campus)
  • Agribusiness Science and Technology (Monroe Campus)
  • Culinary Arts
  • Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Vascular Technology
  • Diesel/Heavy Equipment Technician
  • Electric Power Distribution
  • Electro-Mechanical Technology (Milton Campus)
  • Human Resource Management
  • HVAC/R (Milton Campus)
  • Laboratory Technician Assistant (Monroe Campus)
  • Physical Therapist Assistant (2 seats for qualified students)
  • Radiography (2 seats for qualified students)

HCC Transfer Programs

Programs BTC residents can take at HCC:
  • Associate of Arts
  • Associate of Science
  • Associate of Engineering Science
  • Associate of General Studies
  • Associate of Arts in Teaching
  • Auto Body Repair
  • Equine Science
  • Graphic Design
  • Nail Technician
  • Paramedic
  • QuickBooks Professional (available online)
  • Web Design
Programs HCC residents can take at BTC:
  • Culinary Arts
  • Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Vascular Technology
  • Diesel/Heavy Equipment Technician
  • Electric Power Distribution
  • Fire Protection Technician
  • Human Resource Management
  • Laboratory Technician Assistant (Monroe Campus)
  • Medical Laboratory Technician (Monroe Campus)
  • Project Management

Contact Information

BTC Representative

Caitlin Lehr
Registration and Records
(608) 757-7662

RVC Representative

Records and Registration Office
(815) 921-4250
WI Relay: 711

HCC Representative

Jeremy Bradt
Director of Enrollment and Records
(815) 599-3500

© 2024, Blackhawk Technical College. All rights reserved.