You may be eligible for one or more of several types of loans. Blackhawk Technical College is here to help you through the process and answer any questions that you may have!

Students Smiling

New Student Loan Borrowers

All new student loan borrowers must complete Entrance Loan Counseling along with a Master Promissory Note. These can be completed online and will require an FSA ID. 

Get Started

nursing students working in lab

Nursing Student Loan

The Nursing Student Loan Program provides loans to Wisconsin resident undergraduates or graduate students who are enrolled at least half-time at an eligible in-state institution that prepares them to be licensed as nurses, either RN or LPN. 

Learn More

girl smiling

Direct Loan 150% Rule (SULA)

First time Direct Loan borrowers (first time borrowers are students with no outstanding federal student loan debts as of July 1, 2013) are limited in the amount of time they can receive a Direct Subsidized Student Loan. Borrowers may receive Direct Subsidized Loans for NO MORE THAN 150% of the length of the student’s current academic program (example 3 years for a 2-year program). Students in a less than one year in length program are subject to loan proration (example Phlebotomy).

Once a student has reached the 150%-time limit, they will not be eligible for any further subsidized loans. NOTE: If a student has reached 150%-time limit, or enrolls in a program of shorter length, and they continue to enroll, they will lose the future interest subsidy on the subsidized loans they have borrowed in the past.

Students who have reached the 150%-time limit will remain eligible for Direct Unsubsidized Loans. The SULA (Subsidized Usage Limit Applies) will be monitored closely by the Department of Education and the BTC Financial Aid Office.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I graduate in December, will this affect my loans?
  • The Department of Education requires schools to monitor your academic status and graduation date. Schools must pro-rate the amount of student loan(s) for your remaining period of study if it is less than an academic year in length.
  • If your status changes from what you indicated it would be when you applied for aid, you must notify the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible in writing at

For more information... on subsidized and/or unsubsidized student loans, loan limits, interest rates, in-school interest subsidy, 150% loan limits, SULA, or other loan questions – visit

© 2019, Blackhawk Technical College. All rights reserved.